Bird Monitoring Programme
Date & Location
- First Saturday of each month at 9am
- Styx Mill Conservation Reserve, Styx Mill Rd Public Car Park (See map below)
Dr. Antony Shadbolt
Antony has more than 30 years’ experience in environmental horticulture, landscape architecture, planning, and ecology & wildlife research. He is a key driver in the re-establishment of Ōtautahi's native forest habitats and is a Trustee of Trees for Canterbury.
On the first Saturday of each month, those wishing to participate in the bird monitoring programme meet at the Styx Mill Conservation Reserve on Styx Mill Road at 9am to record the number of individual water bird species using a moving transect method (instruction provided on the day).
Two locations are covered during each session to compile a long-term data set for the reserves:
- The Styx Mill Conservation Reserve and
- The 303 Radcliffe Road Reserve
Data collected is submitted to eBird, and may be explored by anyone with an interest in New Zealand's bird populations.
Volunteers need to bring:
- Sturdy outdoor clothing & footwear for muddy & wet conditions
- And it would be good to also bring:
- Camera / phone
- Paper & pen
For more information
Contact Antony Shadbolt
- Call 0276 83 8618